Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's Time.

Hi everyone :)

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. For many reasons, it's time for me to stop painting as a business.

This isn't life-changing news, and nothing weird has happened. I just have way, way too much on my plate. Evy is getting to an age where she's nearly mobile, and she just can't sit in the bouncy seat while I paint anymore. My house, husband, time with the Lord, baby, etc. etc. etc. need my attention. I really desire to sit and enjoy my family in the evenings, instead of painting like I have to do sometimes.

We'll also be putting our house on the market, packing, and moving in the next 6-7 months or so, and the thought of that alone is overwhelming. I need for these last few months here to be as stress-free and enjoyable as possible.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I've had traffic pouring in and I'm painting 10 canvases a week. It's actually pretty manageable. But combined with the other things that I do, it's something I need to let go. I really do have a peace that this is the time.

It still blows me away that people would actually want to buy my artwork. I'll let you in on a little secret: I have terrible insecurities when it comes to my painting. When I start a new one, I am terrified that the person I'm painting for will hate it. That's why I rarely give my paintings as gifts. I am convinced that the person will inwardly groan and say "Oh, great. A painting." The whole reason I started this business was to help contribute to my grandfather's ministry, Ventures for Christ. Kurt and I will soon be in a position to where we can freely contribute to Ventures without me painting. Please understand me: I have loved painting for you. I'm honored to paint for you! But so many factors are telling me it's time to stop.

So, with that said, here's the deal: I will still take Christmas orders until Monday, December 7th. I will take regular canvas orders until January 15th, and then I will no longer take any new orders. I feel comfortable with that date, and it will be a good time to end.

I don't know if I will start painting again as a business--you never know! The plan right now is that I will put a few pieces for sale in Bloom, a boutique in Cape Girardeau. That way I can still have the creative outlet of painting, but it will be when I feel like it and I can paint any design I think up. My friend Michaelyn manages the store, and we've talked about it here and there. So we shall see!

Obviously, if you reallyreallyreally want a canvas in the future and my style suits you, feel free to email me. I'm not going into hibernation! :) But officially, my business will be closed after January 15th.

Thank you for affirming me and my work!

xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment